2/25/12

The True Song

Not too many things are capable of eliciting a deep emotional reaction from me. Sometimes I worry about whether that's normal. I do feel. I get angry, sad, happy, etc. But am I ever moved? Rarely. If it isn't spiritually related, I can count on one hand how many times I've truly "felt."

Two of those times where when I heard these songs for the first time. And for the second song, it still moves me, but just not quite as much as the first time.

The first song is Crawling by Linkin Park. This is the version they did on their remix album Reanimation.



The second is The Voice by Celtic Woman. This is the only song that brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. Doesn't matter when or where, but it will happen. The only thing that I can relate it to so it makes sense in my mind is the concept of one's true name from the Inheritance Cycle. In that world, you have your given name, and your true name. Your true name is a word or phrase that perfectly defines who you are, and if you can discover it you can achieve self-mastery. But if someone finds it out before you, they need but speak it to you and they will have complete control over you.

This song is like that for me. When I hear it, I hear me. I hear my soul crying out to God. I see every conflict in my life. I see my past and the mistakes I've made. Maybe this song won't mean anything to you. But it means more to me than I can adequately explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment